Exhibition “Weavings Anew”, Volos
On 15 April 2022 the exhibition “Weavings Anew” opened at the Museum of the City of Volos.
It is a new approach of the exhibition “Weavings”, which was originally presented in 2019 at the Benaki Museum – Pireos 138, co-hosted by Alpha Bank and the Benaki Museum and curated by Irene Orati, Art Historian and former Curator of the Alpha Bank Art Collection, and Konstantinos Parachristos, Curator of the Benaki Museum / Ghikas Gallery. The exhibition marks the renewed research interest in Greek tapestry and its brief but colourful history.
Part of the exhibition was presented at the MOMus – Museum of Contemporary Art in Thessaloniki, between November 2021 and March 2022.
For the purposes of the exhibition, the Alpha Bank Art Collection lent the following pieces:
- Yannis Moralis, Epithalamion, 1964, tapestry 175 x 108 cm
- Nikos Nikolaou, Hydra A, 1980s, tapestry 136 x 178 cm
- Nikos Nikolaou, Hydra B, 1980s, tapestry 136 x 178 cm
- Spyros Vassiliou, Masts, 1963, tapestry, 148 x 270 cm
- Yannis Tsarouchis, Winds, 1965, tapestry 184 x 108 cm
The exhibition ran until 28 August 2022.