Banknote Museum of the Ionian Bank
The Banknote Museum of the Ionian Bank in Corfu received a great number of visitors during the summer months of June, July and August. In total 1,631 persons visited the permanent exhibition, while guided tours for various associations took place upon request. Specifically, guided tours took place for summer campers at the Corfu Kapodistrias sports club, participants of the Summer Seminar of Greek Language and Culture of the Ionian University, members of the Passa Tempo Centre of Creative Learning, and members of the City of Athens Friends of the Museum association.
The Banknote Museum of the Ionian Bank is housed on the 1st floor of the historic building in which the 1st branch of the Ionian Bank in Corfu opened in 1840. The museum’s collection includes the complete series of all the paper money that was circulated throughout the history of the Greek State: banknotes, coin notes and related material, spanning 180 years of history. The visit starts with the bond notes in piastres issued by the provisional government of Greece in 1822 and the phoenix banknote issued by Ioannis Kapodistrias in 1831, and ends with the last banknotes issued in drachmas, which were withdrawn in 2002 with the introduction of the euro.